Old College of San Ildefonso (Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso) is just n. of the Great Temple (Templo Mayor) and 2 blks. n. and just e. of the Zócalo at Av. Justo Sierra #16, between Avenida República de Argentina and Calle del Carmen (M: Zócalo, line 2). This outstanding colonial edifice, built in 1749, was originally the Jesuit School of San Ildefonso. Converted to a museum and cultural center in 1992, it has three floors displaying Spanish colonial works of art, paintings by Fernando Leal and traveling exhibitions.
The corridors and rooms surrounding the main patio feature impressive José Clemente Orozco murals depicting post-Revolutionary Mexico, as well as murals by other artists. The smaller Patio of the Undergraduates (Patio de Los Pasantes) has three arched sides and a fourth wall surrounding a small courtyard. Inside the Simón Bolivar Amphitheater, the main entrance to the complex, is “The Creation,” an early Diego Rivera mural.