AAA Editor Notes
Cabrits National Park is 1.5 mi. n. of town between Douglas and Prince Rupert's bays. Perched on a forested, twin-peaked peninsula, Cabrits National Park contains the ruins of a military garrison used by British and French forces 1770-1854. Its centerpiece is Fort Shirley, which is surrounded by more than 50 major structures, including gun batteries, powder magazines, storehouses and barracks that housed up to 600 men. Of interest is the renovated classic Georgian 1774 officer’s quarters.
Trails connecting the sites meander through thick tropical growth.
Light clothing and comfortable shoes are recommended.