Parque Nacional La Isabela is 8.5 mi. (14 km) w. of Luperón. In December 1493, Christopher Columbus established the first European settlement in the New World, building a walled city named La Isabela on the east bank of the Bajabonico River. The foundations of a fort, a sentry tower, a chapel and Columbus’s limestone house are visible. A small museum features exhibits about Spanish and Taíno culture and artifacts excavated from the site; labels are in Spanish.