Independence Park (Parque Independencia) is at the w. end of Calle El Conde at avs. Bolivar and Independencia. The park contains two national icons. At the east end is El Conde Gate, one of the city's original entranceways and the site of the nation's 1844 proclamation of independence. To the west is the Altar of the Nation, a white marble mausoleum containing the remains of founding fathers Juan Pablo Duarte, Francisco del Rosario Sánchez and Ramón Matías Mella. The images of both edifices can be seen on the Dominican 100-peso bill.