Port Boca Grande Lighthouse and Museum is 2 mi. s. of jct. 5th St. on Gilchrist Rd./Gulf Blvd. in Gasparilla Island State Park. In use 1890-1966, the lighthouse was restored in 1985 and the light recommissioned in 1986. It was originally built to provide light for ships exporting phosphate from Boca Grande Harbor. Exhibits in the 44-foot-high lighthouse capped with an octagon-shaped lantern explain the history of Boca Grande and the lighthouse.