Fort Caroline National Memorial, 13 mi. e. near jct. Monument and Fort Caroline rds., is within the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve and marks the site near which French colonials established a settlement in 1564. A year later Spaniards massacred many of them at Matanzas Inlet. The memorial contains a model of the fort, interpretive trails and Ribault Monument, an obelisk commemorating the first landing at St. Johns in 1562. The visitor center has displays.