AAA Editor Notes
Deering Estate is off S.W. 168th St. at 16701 S.W. 72nd Ave. The 450-acre bayfront estate, once part of the town of Cutler, was purchased by industrialist Charles Deering in 1913. On the grounds is the circa 1900 Richmond Cottage, which served as Cutler's inn and is said to be the first hotel between Coconut Grove and Key West. In 1922 Deering built the adjacent, Mediterranean Revival-style Stone House. Some of the estate's original furnishings, antique books and works of art decorate the homes; Deering was an avid art collector and amateur painter. The grounds also include a carriage house, pump house and power house, which today house artists in residence.
The property consists of landscaped grounds, a keyhole-shaped boat basin, a palm grove and a boardwalk through coastal wetlands with a mangrove forest, salt marshes and submerged sand dunes. In addition to rare fauna and flora, the estate harbors a variety of birds, butterflies, marine life and wildlife such as gray foxes, spotted skunks and squirrels.
Guided tours of the houses and natural areas are offered. On the natural areas tour, guests hike on a Native American footpath and visit Cutler Creek and the Cutler Burial Mound. Guests can also participate in Deering Adventures, including a bike tour, kayak rental, sunrise or moonlight canoe tour, and bay cruise. Bird walks, ecotours, ghost tours and night hikes (which include making s'mores by a campfire) are available for a fee.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 2 hours minimum.