Sanibel Lighthouse is 1.5 mi. e. of the causeway on Periwinkle Way. Built in 1884, this Sanibel landmark was electrified in 1962. The lighthouse and cottages are closed to visitors, however the parklike grounds and nearby beach are popular places to view sunsets. The lighthouse is reached via a boardwalk through foliage inhabited by wildlife. Local lore credits an 1890s lightkeeper with planting the first periwinkles on Sanibel Island.