AAA Editor Notes
Lightner Museum, 75 King St., is housed in the former Alcazar Hotel, built by Henry Flagler in 1888. In 1948 Otto C. Lightner, the Chicago publisher and editor of Hobbies magazine, converted the empty hotel into a museum to contain his vast collection of art, antiques and other items.
Three floors display furnishings, costumes, Victorian art glass and natural history specimens. One room is devoted to a collection of Tiffany stained glass. Other highlights include Oriental art, art nouveau works and a Victorian village portraying 19th-century life.
Nineteenth-century mechanical musical instruments are demonstrated daily at 11 and 2. The hotel's steam baths and architectural features still exist on the second floor. The site of the former indoor swimming pool, one of the largest of its day, is now an antiques mall.
Food is available. Time: Allow 2 hours minimum.