AAA Editor Notes
Mission of Nombre de Dios is at 27 Ocean Ave., 5 blks. n. of the city gate on San Marco Ave. Pedro Menéndez de Avilés landed here Sept. 8, 1565, and established the first permanent community. A 208-foot stainless-steel cross marks the site of the founding of St. Augustine. The Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche and Mission Nombre de Dios Museum, which houses Menéndez's casket and exhibits, are on the grounds.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.