Ponce de León's Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park, e. of SR A1A (San Marco Ave.) on Williams St. to 11 Magnolia Ave., is on the site claimed to be Ponce de León's landing place Apr. 3, 1513 and the site of the 1565 Pedro Menendez settlement, the original location of St. Augustine.
The park contains the Timucuan Indian spring Ponce de León hoped was the Fountain of Youth. A cross of coquina stones excavated in 1909 is thought to be the claiming landmark. Remains of Christian Native American burials and archeological exhibits are on the grounds. Also located in the park is the reconstructed Mission Church of Nombre de Dios, built here in 1587 and a living-history blacksmith.
A planetarium offers a display about star navigation, and an observation deck provides views of marshland. Black powder and cannon firing demonstrations also are offered.