St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge covers approximately 70,000 acres along the Gulf of Mexico; the visitor center is at 1255 Lighthouse Rd. The refuge borders Apalachee Bay and extends from the Aucilla River west to the Ochlockonee River. Forty-nine miles of the Florida Trail pass through the refuge. Wintering whooping cranes and other birds are among wildlife that can be observed. Fishing, hiking and photography opportunities abound. The refuge is home to St. Marks Lighthouse, built in 1831, and several other historic sites.