AAA Editor Notes
Site of Fort Augusta, at 605 Reynolds St. between St. Paul's Church and the river, is marked by a Celtic cross in the churchyard. Near the cross is a historical marker commemorating a visit by President George Washington. The fort was built in 1736. At the foot of the cross is a cannon believed to date to the 1730s.