Fort King George State Historic Site is 1 mi. e. of US 17 on Fort King George Dr. Serving as the Southern outpost for the British Empire 1721-27, the fort was the first English settlement in what is now the state of Georgia. It was reconstructed based on documents from the British Public Records Office. The remains of sawmills and a tabby house are on the site. A museum interprets Native American, Spanish and British occupation, as well as the history of coastal sawmills. A Highlander cottage also is on the grounds.