Crawford W. Long Museum, off the public square at 28 College St., honors Dr. Long who in 1842 performed the first painless surgery using sulfuric ether as an anesthesia. The three-building museum occupies the original site of Dr. Long’s discovery, emphasizing his life and the history of anesthesia. The museum includes an antebellum general store. A video presentation documenting Dr. Long's achievements also is offered. Educational programs are offered throughout the year.