AAA Editor Notes
The Old Market House is at Broad and Mulberry sts. Built from great oak timbers in the mid-1790s before the town was laid out, the structure once served as a market. A tower houses a bell cast in France in 1772 for a New Orleans convent. Pirates plundered the ship carrying the bell; in turn, the pirate ship was captured near Savannah. The bell was sent to the new capital, where it was rung to celebrate the independence of the 13 Colonies.