AAA Editor Notes
Hay House, at 934 Georgia Ave., was built 1855-59 as a 24-room, Italian Renaissance Revival mansion that boasted many new amenities for its time, including a plumbing system with hot and cold running water in several indoor bathrooms. Mr. and Mrs. Parks Lee Hay Sr. bought and redecorated the mansion in 1926 to reflect 20th-century living. Ornate plasterwork, 19th-century faux marble trompe l'oeil walls, crystal chandeliers and hand-carved front doors adorn the house. The decorative arts collection includes furniture and porcelains.
Guided house tours, Top of the House tours (which include the cupola) and behind-the-scenes tours are offered. Note: Top of the House tours are not offered when outside temperature exceeds 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Guided tours are available.