AAA Editor Notes
Christ Church, Frederica, just s. of Fort Frederica National Monument at 6329 Frederica Rd., was established in 1736. Charles Wesley, chaplain to Gen. James E. Oglethorpe's settlers at Fort Frederica, was the first priest. After building the present edifice in 1884 as a memorial to his wife, Anson Green Phelps Dodge Jr. took Holy Orders and served as rector until 1898. His life was the subject of the 1977 novel “Beloved Invader” by local writer Eugenia Price; Ms. Price is buried in the church cemetery.