AAA Editor Notes
Church of La Compañia (Iglesia de la Compañia) is at Calle Pocitos and Navarro near the University of Guanajuato. It was built by the Jesuits 1747-65 and then abandoned when the order was expelled from New Spain. Restored in the 19th century, the church has a lovely, typically ornate Churrigueresque exterior of rose-colored stone, intricately carved wooden doors and a large dome. The interior contains paintings by 18th-century artist Miguel Cabrera.