Convent of San Bernardino

Calle Estacadas
Taxco, GR - Map It

AAA Editor Notes

Convent of San Bernardino (Ex-Convento de San Bernardino de Siena) is on Plaza del Convento, off Calle Estacadas. It was built by the Franciscan order in 1595 but was destroyed by a fire in 1805; the present neoclassic building dates from 1821. That same year the Plan of Iguala was drafted here by Agustín de Iturbide, a pivotal player in the battle for Mexican independence from Spain. The plan drew the various Mexican social classes into the freedom movement, consolidating previously ineffective efforts. Mexico finally achieved independence several months later.