AAA Editor Notes
Keomuku, 6 mi. s.e., is a ghost town. The village was a flourishing sugar community until 1901, when stones from the nearby Kahe‘a Heiau (temple) allegedly were used in the building of Maunalei Sugar Co.’s railroad. The water at the mill turned brackish, and the village had to be abandoned.
Petroglyphs can be seen on the large stones near the site of the heiau, but visitors should not disturb them or take rubbings.
Note: Heiau are culturally significant and should be treated with respect. The road is extremely rough in places and requires a four-wheel-drive vehicle.