AAA Editor Notes
Land of the Yankee Fork State Park and Historic Area has its interpretive center at jct. US 93 and SR 75. The center offers dioramas, artifacts and photographs of the mines and miners from 1870-1920 as well as an audiovisual program about mining and ghost town history.
A 91-mile scenic loop, the Custer Motorway Adventure Road (FR 70), begins in Challis on a narrow, gravel and dirt road, and runs past stage stations, ghost towns and abandoned mines, the Yankee Fork Gold Dredge, the Custer Museum and Sunbeam Dam Interpretive Site. The loop's return road is paved SR 75 (the Salmon River Scenic Byway).
The Custer Museum features mining artifacts and early pioneer belongings. Once a thriving mining town, Custer is now a ghost town providing insights into what life was like in the 1880s. At Sunbeam Dam Interpretive Site, information about the historic area, Sawtooth National Recreation Area and the dam is available.
Several recreational trails offer opportunities for hiking and biking; some are open to all-terrain vehicles and motorbikes. Bayhorse, a ghost town noted for its former silver mines, is a trailhead for a system of motorcycle/ATV trails. Access is via a well-maintained gravel road that accommodates trailers and motorhomes about 4 miles off SR 75.
Note: The Custer Motorway Adventure Road is not recommended for vehicles with low clearance, trailers or motor homes. Allow 30 minutes for the interpretive center. Allow 3 hours for the loop.
Pet friendly (call for restrictions/fees.).