AAA Editor Notes
Spalding Site, .2 mi. e., is the location of the second mission built by the Rev. Henry H. Spalding and his wife in 1838. The Presbyterian mission included the territory's first printing press, sawmill and gristmill; it was later used as Indian Agency headquarters. The Spaldings and many Nez Perce are buried in the Spalding Mission Cemetery. The Spaldings' first homesite, 2 miles south at Thunder Hill, was built in 1836, the year they arrived in the Northwest.
Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.