The University of Chicago, flanks the Midway between Stony Island and Cottage Grove aves. and extends n. to 55th St. and s. to 61st St. The university's modern buildings complement the older Gothic structures employing the traditional English quad design. The Joe and Rika Mansueto Library at S. Ellis Ave. and 57th St. holds 3.5 million volumes under its soaring elliptical glass dome. Across from the library stands the William Eckhardt Research Center.
Henry Moore's sculpture “Nuclear Energy” commemorates the Manhattan Project's first controlled nuclear chain reaction that took place in 1942 in a squash-court laboratory.
For tour information contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.