AAA Editor Notes
John Deere Historic Site, just off SR 2 at 8334 S. Clinton St., is where in 1837 John Deere developed the first steel plow that scoured itself clean. The historic complex includes Deere's restored homestead with furnishings from the 1830s, a visitor center, an archeological exhibition building on the excavated site of Deere's original smithy and a reconstructed blacksmith shop set up as a working forge. Blacksmith demonstrations are given. A heritage garden also is on the grounds.
Special events are offered.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.