Lanier Mansion State Historic Site is at 601 W. First St. Designed by architect Francis Costigan and completed in 1844, the mansion overlooking the Ohio River and Kentucky hills was owned by banker and railroad developer James F.D. Lanier. The house epitomizes Greek Revival architecture and contains pieces of original furniture and a three-story spiral staircase. Formal gardens feature plantings and landscaping styles typical of the late 19th century.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.
Hours: Guided tours depart daily on the hour 9-5. Last tour begins 1 hour before closing. Visitor center open daily 9-5. Closed Jan. 1, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.