Dr. James Ford Historic Home is at 177 W. Hill St. Dr. James Ford, an inventor, pharmacist, writer and Civil War surgeon, and his family moved into the one-room brick home in 1841. As the family grew and prospered, so did the home; its size increased to two stories and 4,000 square feet by the 1870s.
It is now restored and elegantly furnished to appear as it may have after its expansion and displays family memorabilia and possessions, the doctor's surgical equipment and such interactive exhibits as a stereopticon, a two-lensed projector used to view moving pictures. Victorian flower and medicinal and vegetable gardens, as well as the original stone barn and carriage house, also are on the premises.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted.