Iowa State University is roughly bounded by 24th St., Mortensen Rd., State Ave. and University Blvd. Founded in 1858, the university is the birthplace of the electronic digital computer. It now has more than 36,000 students.
The Stanton Memorial Carillon bells are housed in the Campanile. Iowa State Center is host to theater and music performances. More than 2,000 works of public art, including Christian Petersen sculptures and Grant Wood murals, can be seen on campus. The visitor information booth is at University Boulevard and S. Fourth Street.