Iowa State Capitol is at E. Grand Ave. and Ninth St. The capitol building stands on a hill surrounded by a landscaped 160-acre park with several monuments. The main dome, flanked by four smaller domes, is covered with 23-karat gold leaf. Construction was completed in 1886.
The interior features 29 types of marble as well as ornately decorated ceilings and corridors. Paintings and statues are exhibited. A display of dolls representing the first spouses of Iowa in their inaugural wear and a scale model of the battleship Iowa can be seen.
Self-guiding tour maps are available at the rotunda information desk on the ground floor. Audio and video tours by cellphone also are available.