AAA Editor Notes
Cathedral faces Av. Alcalde. Begun in 1561, it was consecrated in 1618. Its twin 200-foot towers were erected in 1848 after an earthquake destroyed the original, much shorter structures. Emblazoned with yellow and blue tiles, they are a city landmark. Inside are three cavernous naves and 11 elegantly appointed altars, a gift from King Ferdinand VII of Spain. A lovely sculpture, “Our Lady of the Roses,” was given to the city by the 16th-century Spanish king Carlos V. The priceless painting “The Assumption of the Virgin” in the sacristy is thought to be by Bartolomé Murillo.