AAA Editor Notes
Fort Charles is next to the Jamaican Coast Guard headquarters. Built in 1656, the fort was one of few Port Royal structures to survive the 1692 earthquake disaster. Originally named Fort Cromwell, the fort was renamed in 1662 in honor of England's King Charles II. The installation retains many of its old battlements. Horatio Nelson served as a naval lieutenant at Fort Charles in 1779.
Guided tours are available. Food is available.