Kansas Soldiers’ Home at Fort Dodge is just s. of US 400 at 714 Sheridan St., Unit 128. The fort was a vital Army outpost from 1865, when it was established to protect the Santa Fe Trail from Native Americans. Lt. Col. George A. Custer and Union generals Philip Sheridan and Winfield Hancock figured in the fort’s history. Original structures were made from sod or adobe, but several 1867 buildings constructed of Kansas sandstone still are in use. A museum and library contain historical and military artifacts.
Food is available.