Fort Larned National Historic Site is 6 mi. w. via SR 156. Established in 1859 to protect mail coaches and commercial wagon trains traveling the Santa Fe Trail, the fort was an important post on the frontier until its deactivation in 1878. The site includes nine original sandstone buildings and a section of wagon-wheel rutted prairie. A visitor center has exhibits and a slide program; living-history programs are held in summer and on major holidays.