Scott State Park, 14 mi. n. via US 83 and SR 95, is the site of El Cuartelejo, the ruined pueblo occupied in the late 1600s by Taos and Picurie Indians who fled Spanish occupation in New Mexico. Plains Apache Indians as well as Spanish explorers and French traders camped at the pueblo. Also within the park is the Herbert and Eliza Steele Home. Their original 1888 dugout house was expanded to a four-room house using sandstone from the surrounding bluffs.
Pet friendly (call for restrictions/fees.). Recreational activities are permitted. Camping is permitted. Picnicking is permitted.