AAA Editor Notes
Leslie Morris Park on Fort Hill is vehicle-accessible on its north side by way of the Clifton Ave. gate; a walking trail leading to the park commences downtown directly behind the Capital Plaza Tower. Atop a hill overlooking downtown Frankfort, the park is surrounded by 124 acres of forest which once housed two earthwork forts—Fort Boone and the New Redoubt—used by the Union during the Civil War.

A self-guiding tour directs visitors to such areas as the forts’ remains, the site of an 1864 skirmish and selected meadows home to deer and other wildlife. A walking trail beginning downtown and leading to and through the park is largely unchanged from the 19th century; its connecting trails feature interpretive markers. Housed in a log cabin, the visitor center offers information about the park.

Picnicking is permitted.

Admission
Free.
Hours
The park is open daily dawn-dusk to pedestrian traffic. Vehicular access is permitted Mon.-Sat. 11-5. Visitor center and guided tours are available Mon.-Sat. 11-5, Memorial Day-Oct. 31. Closed Jan. 1, Easter, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and day after Christmas. Phone ahead to confirm schedule. Allow 1 hour minimum.
Map
Get Directions
Hotel
Hotel Name
1234 Street Address City, State 00000
AAA Inspector Rating
More Hotels in Frankfort, KY
Restaurant
AAA Inspector Rating
More Restaurants in Frankfort, KY