Liberty Hall, at Liberty Hall Historic Site at 218 Wilkinson St., was begun in 1796 by John Brown, a member of the Continental Congress and one of Kentucky’s first two U.S. senators. Three U.S. presidents are among the dignitaries who visited Brown and his wife Margaretta at the three-story Federalist home. Period furnishings include many original Brown family items as well as Kentucky-built furniture and other early 19th-century pieces. Gardens behind the house extend to the Kentucky River. Restoration of the house is an ongoing process.