Camp Nelson Heritage Park is 6 mi. s. on US 27 at 6614 Old Danville Rd. A supply and recruitment camp during the Civil War, Camp Nelson also was home to the families of enlisted African-American soldiers during that conflict. The circa 1850 white-columned Oliver Perry mansion, the only remaining building of the original 300 in the camp, was seized in 1863 and used as officers’ quarters.
The 525-acre park also contains an interpretive center, a museum, a genealogical research library, a reconstructed fort and a replica of a barracks as well as more than 5 miles of trails. The nearby Camp Nelson National Cemetery has the graves of 1,600 of the camp’s soldiers, including 600 African-Americans. An 18-minute film presents a historical background about the site.