AAA Editor Notes
Fort Jesup State Historic Site is 6 mi. n.e. on SR 6 at 32 Geoghagan Rd. The 22-acre site was established in 1822 in the event of a dispute with Spain over the western limits of the Louisiana Purchase. First commanded by Gen. Zachary Taylor, the fort became known as the “Cradle of the Mexican War,” serving as the embarkation point for troops sent to Texas. It later served as a Confederate Army supply base. Artifacts and exhibits are housed in an original log kitchen and the recreated officers' barracks.
Picnic facilities are available.
Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.