AAA Editor Notes
Melrose Plantation is e. on CR 493 to 3533 CR 119. Louis Metoyer, the son of freed slave Marie Therese Coincoin, received a land grant in 1785 and later built Yucca House (circa 1810), the African House (circa 1820) and the 1833 Big House. In 1898 Melrose became the home of John Hampton Henry and his wife, Cammie. Mrs. Henry patronized and hosted many artists, including Clementine Hunter, whose work is on display, and Lyle Saxon and Alberta Kinsey.
Guided tours are available.