Fort St. Jean Baptiste State Historic Site is at 155 Jefferson St. The site is a reconstruction of the 1732 French fort and trading post. The original fort was built to prevent encroachment by the Spanish from east Texas into French-held Louisiana. Local materials and 18th-century technology were used in the re-creation. The fort includes a barracks, warehouse, chapel and a commandant's house.