AAA Editor Notes
Old Ursuline Convent is at 1112 Chartres St. One of the oldest buildings in the Mississippi Valley, the 1752 convent was built for Ursuline nuns from France. Here they cared for the city's indigent and taught the children of all classes of society, including slaves. The adjoining chapel, St. Mary's Italian Church, was constructed in 1845 for the Catholic archbishop, who took up residence in the convent after the nuns moved in 1824. St. Mary's was once the national parish for Italians in the U.S. The grounds feature statues, a courtyard and an herb garden. Special temporary exhibits also are offered.