AAA Editor Notes
The Cabildo is at 701 Chartres St., facing Jackson Square. The Spanish governor and the governing body—the “Illustrious Cabildo”—ruled from this Gilberto Guillemard-designed statehouse built between 1795 and 1799. The Louisiana Purchase transfer ceremonies were conducted here in 1803 after France ceded its vast territories in North America to the U.S.
Exhibits at the Cabildo, now a Louisiana State Museum site, portray the history and culture of Louisiana from pre-Colonial days to the early 20th century. The Arsenal (not open to the public), an example of Greek Revival-style architecture built in 1839, is adjacent.