E.D. White Historic Site is on Bayou Lafourche at 2295 St. Mary St. (SR 1). This house, now a Louisiana State Museum site, was once the residence of Louisiana governor 1835-39, Edward Douglass White, and his son, Edward Douglass White II, who was Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court 1910-21. The 1824 Acadian structure was expanded in 1847 to include Greek Revival elements at the request of the governor's wife.
There are few furnishings in the house, but exhibits detail the White family as well as the Bayou Lafourche area, including the Chitimacha Indians, Acadian settlers, sugarcane plantations and slavery.