AAA Editor Notes
Oak Alley Plantation is 3 mi. w. off SR 20 to 3645 SR 18. The Greek Revival mansion was named for the two rows of live oaks, planted in the early 1700s, that form a quarter-mile alley from the Mississippi River to the house. Built 1837-39, Oak Alley has been restored and decorated with period furniture. Mansion tours of the stately Big House are provided by knowledgeable guides dressed in period costume.
Guests also may stroll the plantation grounds on a self-guiding tour. Among the points of interest are a blacksmith shop housing the plantation's original forge; a reconstructed slave quarters featuring six cabins and an exhibit about Oak Alley's former slave community; and the Stewart family graveyard and gardens. Staffed most days, the Civil War Interpretive Exhibit consists of a commanding officer's tent and an interactive video kiosk.
Guided tours are available. Food is available.