Ruggles House, .5 mi. off US 1 on Main St., was built 1818-20 for Judge Thomas Ruggles, a wealthy lumber dealer, merchant, postmaster and militia captain. The Adamesque-style house is noted for its flying staircase that rises without lateral support and for its delicate interior and exterior woodcarvings. Many of the period furnishings are original and much of the art in the house was created by Ruggles’ granddaughters. Tools and early kitchen items also are on display as well as an herb garden.