Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site and Fort William Henry, off SR 130 at 3 Colonial Pemaquid Dr., is the site of an English settlement dating from the early 17th century. A museum displays artifacts excavated from the area. The original Fort Charles was replaced by Fort William Henry in 1692; 4 years later the French captured and destroyed it. Fort Frederick was erected on the same site in 1729. A reproduction built on the original foundation contains historical material.