Penobscot Marine Museum is at 2 Church St. (US 1). Twelve buildings—including an early 19th-century captain's home and the original 1845 town hall—contain collections of traditional small craft, paintings, navigational instruments, builders' half-models, shipbuilders' tools, and Oriental Trade souvenirs and furnishings. Marine paintings by Thomas and James Buttersworth are on display.
Gone Fishing—Maine's Sea Fisheries depicts commercial fishing through video presentations, models, full-size replicas, small craft, photography and artifacts.
The Challenge of the Down-Easters exhibit depicts the Penobscot Bay area's contribution to the building, ownership and operation of the square-rigged Down-Easters. Working the Bay highlights the area's 19th-century coastal industries.
Interactive exhibits encourage children to raise and lower a ship's mast, step inside a lighthouse and dress up in 19th-century clothing. Temporary exhibits featuring regional items also may be seen.