AAA Editor Notes
Museums of Old York, 3 Lindsay Rd., maintains an art gallery and a nature preserve. The 1742 Emerson-Wilcox House contains a series of furnished period rooms. The John Hancock Warehouse was owned by John Hancock until 1794 and has exhibits that illustrate the maritime history of York. The 1750s Elizabeth Perkins House was re-imagined as a romantic summer cottage in the early 20th century.
The Old Gaol was used as a jail 1719-1860 and includes dungeons and cells used to hold felons and debtors, while the Old Schoolhouse dates from 1745 and is one of the oldest surviving one-room schoolhouses in Maine. A research library is on the premises.
Guided tours are available.