AAA Editor Notes
Dalnavert Museum, .5 blk. s. of Broadway at 61 Carlton St., is the former home of Sir Hugh John Macdonald, prominent lawyer and politician and son of John A. Macdonald, the first prime minister of Canada. Built in 1895, it was one of the first houses in Winnipeg to have hot-water heating, electric lighting and indoor plumbing.
Named after the Scottish birthplace of Macdonald's grandmother, the red brick Queen Anne Revival-style house features stained-glass windows and a wraparound verandah. The restored house, which was saved from demolition in 1969, is opulently furnished with Victorian antiques. Tours include a guided tour of the house and a self-guiding audio tour providing a glimpse into the lifestyles of early 20th-century Winnipeg society and the Macdonald family.
The visitor center at the rear of museum has been designed as a “green” building, incorporating reclaimed and recycled materials during its construction and utilizing geothermal energy to heat and cool the building.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.