Le Musée de Saint-Boniface Museum, s.e. on Main St. (Hwy. 1), then n. to 494 Taché Ave., was built 1846-51 as the first convent and hospital in western Canada. Displays depict the Red River Settlement and early French and Métis Manitoba; an exhibit is dedicated to Louis Riel, founder of Manitoba. Visitors also can view the nearby ruins of the cathedral as well as the cemetery where Riel is buried.